United Way of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County is launching a new initiative called Build United. Build United will help provide a stable and safe environment for low-income homeowners in the Harrisonburg and Rockingham communities through home repairs. Build United comes in all shapes and sizes. Some of the services they provide include window and floor repairs and completely remodeling a bathroom to make it wheelchair accessible.
Completing the process from beginning to end, Build United works to ensure that all homeowners in Harrisonburg and Rockingham County have a safe and stable environment to live in. This is how the process works:
1. Applications are received, evaluated for eligibility by the Family Selections Committee.
2. Eligible applications are referred to the Construction Committee and a committee member is assigned to conduct a site visit to determine the scope of the project. The application is then accepted or denied by the board.
3. Accepted applications are referred to the Logistics Committee, who then works to secure volunteers and supplies for the project.
4. The volunteer team and the Construction Committee member meet at the residence on the decided date(s) to conduct the repairs.
5. The Logistics Committee follows up with the homeowner by completing an outcome form to assess the homeowner's satisfaction. To learn more about Build United, eligibility forms and the application process, visit our website. If you are interested in volunteering, please visit us on Get Connected and if you would like to sponsor a project, please contact us.
A huge thank you to our founding partners: American Subcontractors Association of the Shenandoah Valley, Associated General Contractors of Virginia, Inc., Harrisonburg-Rockingham Association of Realtors, and Shenandoah Valley Builders Association for helping us #LIVEUNITED.